Home > Skills For Work > Become A Gym Instructor

Become A Gym Instructor

By: Jeff Durham - Updated: 7 Aug 2013 | comments*Discuss
How To Become A Gym Instructor

To qualify as a gym or fitness instructor you will either need to complete a nationally recognised qualification or you may choose to find a job as an assistant instructor and then complete work-based qualifications alongside doing your job.

Qualifications Route To Becoming A Gym Instructor

There are only two qualifications which you should consider if you’re looking to become a gym instructor via this route. They are the Certificate in Fitness Instructing to level 2 which is awarded by Active IQ, City & Guilds, CYQ and VTCT. Alternatively, you could take an OCR level 2 Certificate in Teaching Exercise and Fitness. Both of these qualifications are approved by the Register of Exercise Professionals (REPs).They are the most recognised and have become the preferred industry standard.

Once you’ve obtained either of these qualifications, you will be able to look for work as a Gym or Fitness Instructor to focus on gym, group based or water-based exercise and you will also be entered onto the Register of Exercise Professionals which demonstrates that you hold a relevant qualification and are fully competent to do the job.

In addition to this, you’ll also need to obtain a first-aid certificate, which includes CPR as well needing to take out public liability insurance. For some jobs, you might also need to obtain a lifeguard qualification and, if you’re going to be working with children, you’ll also need to get Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) clearance.

Work-Based Route To Becoming A Gym Instructor

If you’ve been able to obtain employment as an Assistant Instructor, you can work towards gaining full qualified instructor status whilst you learn on the job under the supervision of a qualified instructor. To do this, you’d be looking to combine work with obtaining an NVQ level 2 in Instructing Exercise and Fitness which is awarded by Active IQ, City & Guilds, CYQ and Edexcel. Upon successful completion, you’d then be eligible to be entered into the Register of Exercise Professionals at level 2. In some areas of the country, you might be able to follow this route through an apprenticeship.

Further Training and Development

Further qualifications to both level 3 and 4 are available from either one or more of the awarding bodies mentioned previously. Level 3 qualifications enable you to also undertake further training units in working with children or older people, GP referrals, the disabled and also both pre- and post-natal women.

Qualifications to level 3 include:

  • Certificate in Advanced Fitness Instructing (Gym) or (Gym or Group Exercise)
  • Certificate in Personal Training
  • NVQ level 3 in Instructing Physical Activity and Exercise

Qualifications to level 4 are relatively new but one called the Specialist Exercise Instructor qualification includes modules aimed at designing and adapting physical exercise programs for the following specialist areas:

  • Obesity
  • Diabetes
  • Coronary heart disease
  • After-stroke care
  • Back pain
  • Mental health
  • Falls prevention for older people

Whatever level you’re qualified to, that will be indicated in the Register of Exercise Professionals. However, you would need to have both experience and be qualified already before you could progress to level 4.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
im currently in the armed forces but leaving due to redundency where is the best place to get these qualifications and what courses should i take. also what is the average cost?
woolly - 7-Aug-13 @ 3:03 PM
I-m interested in making level 2 course , how much does it costs and if it,s necessary for passing the first nvq,or i can make it directly the number 2? I mention that i graduated university of pshisical and education of sports and i have worked 3 years in a gym..thank u
Fominbogdan - 22-Oct-12 @ 5:20 PM
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice...
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments
  • Shaun
    Re: Learning Through an Apprenticeship
    Hi I'd like to know more about becoming an electrician, I'm 34 in Derbyshire and would be grateful for any information you…
    23 November 2019
  • Martin
    Re: Considerations when Changing Career
    Hi there, i am considering changing my career but staying within the construction industry. I'm currently working as…
    9 November 2019
  • Chaza
    Re: Become A Vet's Assistant
    Hi I have an executive diploma in zoology can I be a veterinary nursing assistant with this qualification or do I need something else.…
    5 November 2019
  • Gordmac80!
    Re: Learning Through an Apprenticeship
    Hi, I live in Inverness, I’m 39 will be 40 in March, I’ve worked in retail since I was 16 I’ve been a manger for 16 years…
    17 October 2019
  • Ashi
    Re: Teaching Adults as a Career
    Currently I am working as a HLTA (teaching assistant) in primary school with EAL children. I am thinking of working with adults,…
    11 October 2019
  • Linds
    Re: The Adult Learning Grant
    I am in receipt of Universal Credit. Do this disbar me from claiming a grant?
    22 September 2019
  • Sophokles
    Re: Teaching Adults as a Career
    I retired a year or so ago; however, I've still 'something left in the tank', and my English usage has always been praised. (I have…
    10 September 2019
  • Donna
    Re: Learning Through an Apprenticeship
    Hi I am 37 years old. I have worked the majority of my life in retail supermarkets. I have nvq level 2 in both retail and…
    1 September 2019
  • Ger
    Re: Adult Dyslexia Assessment Explained
    After years of struggling my so was assessed at college and finally diagnosed, and received excellent support. His…
    27 August 2019
  • Ballerina
    Re: Become A Vet's Assistant
    Hi, I am 63 and for the past 20 years have worked in an Emergency Department as an Enrolled Nurse dealing with a variety of…
    17 August 2019